Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thanks Len for the memories



Book Launch December 2008

It’s hard to believe that a year has gone by since Len died. It hardly seems possible. I remember when Sue called me with the news. For the first time in my life, I was stunned. I took down all the instructions yet had to email her to ask for them again.

I began to stutter and immediately I felt my loss. In five years, I’d lost three friends, mentors, and members of the Headwaters Writers’ Guild. I’d also lost my best friend Colette who also supported my writing.

I felt this deep sense of loss as if God had abandoned me by taking my friends. When Ed died he visited me in my dream and showed me his indescribable apartment. “This is the best place I’ve ever lived,” he said.

I knew that Len was in a good place. When I told everybody that I cleaned my bedroom they laughed. I knew Len would visit me in dreamtime and he did. He had a wonderful message of love for Sue.

It’s hard when somebody makes such a strong impact in your life to wish them well when they leave here. I know that heaven rejoiced when Len returned.

I’d like to think that Colette, Ed, Janet, and Len would be proud that I’ve continued to write even through the sorrow.

I’ll never forget when Len taught an article workshop. “There are ideas for articles everywhere,” he said.

Yeah I thought, only for you. At 5:00 a.m., two days later, I woke up with an idea to write about the cat shelter. Not only did Len plant a seed, he made the appointment with the Sideroads editor, went with me, and helped with my article. It doesn’t get any better than this.

Len was a friend, mentor, and a wonderful member. I do not have adequate words to describe him. I miss his laughter, his smile, his contribution, his help, and his presence.

I’m sure Ed and Len are entertaining God with their wonderful stories. And I’m sure they’re sitting in Ed’s apartment writing.

When we celebrated Len’s life, who could ever forget Clare’s rendition of one of Len’s stories? We laughed until we cried. Thanks Len for the memories.


2 comments:

Diane Bator, Author & Book Coach said...

Thanks you, Nancy! I loved reading all about Len. I still miss him. He was like a wonderful Santa Claus with so many gifts to share. It was great that he spent his time to join us even after moving to North Bay. He picture sits on my desk for inspiration.

Laura said...

Len was one of those guys who touched you deeply no matter how long you'd known him--and no matter how long you'd known him, it was never long enough. Godspeed, Len. I still think of you often, as I'm sure we all do.