Tuesday, April 13, 2010

MASTER BRICKLAYER & WRITING

In February, while I sat on the couch sick with bronchitis, I watched an artist at work. It was an unexpected treat.

It all started when the insurance company sent a house inspector to do a safety inspection on my old Victorian house. He noted some deficiencies. I told my husband to take care of it.

I should have known that my husband didn’t understand the inspector’s report other than the corroded electrical panel.

PLEASE NOTE: The insurance company took the advice of a certified house inspector over a hydro inspector. I digress.

When it became an “URGENT” problem, I consulted with a bricklayer/mason/carpenter. Like my electrician husband, Jim used a measuring tape like an expert. Impressive.

“You need to brick your drywall on either side of the brickwork. You’ll need stainless steel on the ceiling, as your flue is too close to the drywall ceiling. Also you need a railing on one of your exits.”

My husband eyes widened.

“Then, you’ll be up to code.”

My husband selected and bought the needed bricks. When Jim started to lay the bricks, my husband became his labourer. My impressed seven-year-old granddaughter said, “Nana, you’ll have to get money ‘cause he’s working hard.”

Jim smiled.

As the artist laboured, I watched, as he effortlessly broke the brick in half the first time, and then put them on the wall perfect every time. Between watching our amazing athletes compete and Jim, I became totally inspired.

Later, I asked my husband, “I thought you were going to do the brickwork?”

He shook his head, “He’s a master and there’s no way I could ever brick like him.”

When the professional master bricklayer/mason/carpenter signed the form, a miracle happened. The insurance company accepted his repairs.

From watching Jim, I realized that everybody is a beginner at some time—the athlete who trains hard, the bricklayer who works at his craft, and the writer who practices every day by writing. It’s all related.

If you want to become a master at writing, you’ll have to write.

If you’re looking for a bricklayer or carpenter, I still have Jim’s business card.

No comments: