Thursday, April 29, 2010

POETRY SESSION - April 24, 2010

Harry & Kristan


Poetry Session – Grey Roots Museum April 24, 2010 for National Poetry Month.

Okay, I should have taken notes but I just enjoyed the moment. Poor Harry, I had to email him twice.

All the poets were amazing but especially Harry.

Antonio Christie did a great job both as the open mic reader and poet. He mentioned that he knows that other poets come to listen to poets. And they love performing for other poets. I wondered if he was psychic. Then I realized that Judy and I had our journals on our lap.

Kristan Anderson started the session with his love poem re his fifteen years of being married. He mentioned new love versus older mature love. I can’t wait to hear his poem when he’s been married for forty years. He is the poet laureate of Owen Sound. If you heard his poetry, you’d know why.

Harry did a duet with Kristan and it’s called Fire, Seduction, Art. We all laughed. What an outstanding performance.

Liz Setlin selected a writing prompt from Natalie Goldberg’s Old Friend from Far Away. This is one of the books that I mentioned in the life-writing course but I digress. Her poem about Insomnia blew me away. She mentioned that she’d bought the book and CD, I Can Make You Sleep but she’s still not sleeping. When she mentioned listening to Leonard Cohen to fall asleep there was an audible sigh. "Oooo!" Unfortunately, it was me

Did you hear Clare say that he bought the Natalie Goldberg's book from BookLore? It’s an excellent book and I’ve used it for writing prompts.

Before leaving for break, I talked to Liz.

“I bought the book and CD, I Can Make You Thin. I’ve lost a few pounds but since I started listening to his CD in bed, I’m sleeping.”

Liz laughed. “I sleep to that CD, too.”

Harry performance included Train, Logos, Untitled, and We are Waiting. I hate Harry. His poetry is just too good! I’m just kidding.

Judy Lowry is soft spoken and her poetry took my breath away. Daniel Kolos’ poetry was thought provoking.

Antonio Christie poem, Murdering my Father made us all sit up and pay attention.

You have to experience the spoken word or words aloud to appreciate it. The author’s voice is emotional, haunting, magical and entertaining. I guarantee that you’ve never heard poetry like this unless you’ve experienced it. The Orangeville Library had Spoken Word poets last April.

I took a movie of Harry’s performance and if I get my butt in gear I’ll have it to show at our meeting on Sunday, May 2, 2010.

No comments: