Thursday, February 18, 2010

MEETING FEBRUARY 7, 2010

It’s not my fault. (Don’t you just hate whiners?) Honest, I was sick and Diane missed the meeting. Pat said, “You’re more detailed than I am. You should take the notes!”

Hasn’t Pat read my fiction? I’m the most detailed person but certainly not in taking notes. Did I mention that I was sick, too?

Finally, yesterday, I began feeling better. I’m pieced together my sporadic notes and hopefully it makes sense to you. Then I noticed that Pat had posted her notes from the meeting. But what the heck!

Richard complained that Alex brings his notebook to write. *LOL* I mentioned that mostly we write by hand but it’s whatever works for you. So bring your laptops, if you so desire.

Last meeting, Judy mentioned that she read her writing (especially her Fat and Other F word poetry) to her friends and she felt like a “real” writer. Everybody must have heard her even if they weren’t present.

At least half of the writing group brought writing to read. Everybody received constructive criticism of their work.

Richard mentioned to Pat who read from her novel that possibly she should graph her novel. Judy said, “Robert McKee, American screenwriter and lector, also mentions to plot out your writing. "Pat received helpful critiquing re her sub-plot.

I said, “It’s whatever works for you.”

Richard outlined his first novel "The Ositary” and wished that he’d outlined his second novel.

Glenn complained that I was sharing my germs by coughing and sneezing on him.

Clare almost stopped in the middle of a suspenseful line . . . but we begged him to continue. Richard said, “ENOUGH!” We all laughed. Clare used a prompt from the week before. The clock struck 13, she was sure of it.

I read from my journal, an entry, started by my seven-year-old granddaughter.

I was in a cave with my friend Abby and there was no way to get out. The cave was dark. The cave had a hundred bats and possibly some bears.
(to be continued …)

When I told her that I’d read it, she glowed. Possibly, we have another writer in the making.

When Alex read, it was suggested that he submit his article/essay to In the Hills or Sideroads. Jayne advised that if you submit to one magazine the other one wouldn’t publish you for at least a year.

We discussed the possibility of publishing online.

Richard brought an email that he received from Melrose Press. They praised his writing and if they had contacted him the first day, he would have given them the $12,000.00 to publish his book. Later, he realized that it was a Vanity Press (self-publishing).

He said, “It was only Vitamin B+ for your ego.” I guess you can figure out what the B+ stood for.

Richard suggested that you post your novel on www.authonomy.com Harper Collins reviews this site.

Keep one copy of the original novel before you make any changes. Print if off and save it on a CD.

Della, a new writer, asked me if we were all published.

“No.” I mentioned that the late Ed Wildman always told us, “Don’t compare yourself to other writers.”

Richard nodded. “You can’t compare yourself.”

“I’d have to quit writing,” I said.

Alex commented that he liked our new room. He preferred the natural light as opposed to the basement and the room was less formal.

If I missed anything, please feel free to comment.

THE BLOG – I read, "Do You Read Our Blog" that was posted on December 16, 2009, and I mentioned that I haven’t noticed any comments. Many writers make light work. Would it be possible for volunteers to post on the blog, twice a week, once a week, every other week, or once a month? It’s also a chance to be published. Anything that is posted online is considered published.

SEE YOU ON SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2010. HARRY IS LEADING!

2 comments:

Mary Patricia Bird said...

I TOLD you that you were more detailed than me! LOL!

Anonymous said...

*LMBO* Well maybe a little!
*LOL*