Tuesday, February 23, 2010

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

Two weeks ago, my younger daughter had a bad day at work. She told me that she cried all the way home.

I said to her, “I don’t care what anybody says about you. I BELIEVE you were born to be a teacher.”

A tear fell from her eye.

I read the following to her.

BELIEVING IN YOURSELF

There may be days when you get up in the morning and things aren’t the way you’d hope they would be. That’s when you have to tell yourself that things will get better.

There are times when people disappoint you and let you down, but those are the times when you must remind yourself to keep life focused on believing in yourself and all that you are capable of.

There will be challenges to face and changes to make in your life, and it’s up to you to accept them. Constantly keep yourself headed in the right direction. It may not be easy at times, but in those times of struggle you will find a stronger sense of who you are.

So when the days come that are filled with frustration and unexpected responsibilities, remember to believe in yourself and all you want your life to be, because the challenges and changes will only help you to find the goals that you know are meant to come true for you.

Anonymous

After I read this to my daughter, she hugged me.

When Judy read her excellent piece The Voice that details a person’s battle with her inner critic, we couldn’t stop laughing. We all understood that we all fight our demons or the voice that constantly belittles us. I believe the voice is a compilation of all the negativity we’ve heard since childhood.

The late Ed Wildman, my beloved friend and mentor, is the most charismatic person that I’ve ever known. He always had the right words to inspire and motive all people.

After the meeting, I spoke with Glenn who talked about his fear of joining a writing group and loosing his voice. He mentioned that he is surprised at the number of people who were willing to help him become a stronger writer.

I smiled. “I’m so happy when other members succeed in the writing group. It means that Ed’s legacy lives on.”

I wish that I had Ed’s gift but I do my best to inspire people to live their dreams, as do other members of our group.

When Anita mentioned that our writing group gave her the courage to live her dream, it brought a tear to my eye. I know Ed is smiling in heaven.

Thanks Ed.

2 comments:

Diane Bator, Author & Book Coach said...

Beautiful piece of poetry, Nancy. Thank you for sharing that. I'm going to write it and keep it for my own bad days and for my kids.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Diane.