Friday, March 5, 2010

Self Publishing

Hi Everybody -
Nancy has asked me to tell you about my experience with CreateSpace in publishing my book, Stories of Prayers & Faith, a compilation of 26 writers' stories through my publishing company SpiralPress. I researched in depth for the best features of POD printers, and found createspace.com to fit the best for my wants and needs. They are very helpful with support and answering questions. You can also price out a book very easily at their website, by putting in size and number of pages. The cost is the same whether you order 1 book or 100. The only thing you don't know until you actually put in your order is delivery cost. Cost for delivery of a single proof copy is $5 or $6, however I have just ordered the first 200 books and the delivery cost was .50 per book so that's not bad. You can also design a professional looking cover at their site where you upload your pictures, can choose fonts, colours, etc. You need to make your text into one PDF file and upload that. If you pay $39. (one time) for PRO status, the cost of your book is less expensive, but that is very clear on the site when you check pricing. You pick your retail price and since CreateSpace is linked with Amazon, your book automatically gets listed there for sale (if you choose to do that.) CreateSpace, will get you your ISBN number but then they are the publishers. ISBN numbers are free and easy to get in Canada, so I would recommend you get your own. Just ask for one at isbn@lac-bac.gc.ca. If you want a CIP number which you will need if you want your book to be in libraries, it is a little more complicated so better to go to their website for directions at www.collections.canada.gc.ca. If you have any other questions that I might be able to answer, email me at glorianye@gmail.com. Sorry I will miss March 7, but looking forward to seeing you on the 21st.
Happy writing,
Gloria

No comments: