Wednesday, March 31, 2010

JOURNAL - MORNING PAGES

It’s in the silence that I experience my creative voice. Noise shuts out my inner voice or soul that longs to express itself. All I have to do is show up at the page and record three morning pages (The Artist Way) and I believe I won’t experience writer’s block again.

I write morning pages daily to enable me to write from the prompts at our Headwaters Writers’ Guild (HWG) meetings. Otherwise, I would freeze on my page. It’s not like I write anything profound or awesome like Harry and Alex but at least I am able to write something.

I remember Barbara Kyle (author) saying, “Everything can be fixed.”

If I view my raw writing as if it were a masterpiece, I’d never pick up my pen. I would have quit writing years ago. And I certainly wouldn’t write anything at HWG’s writing sessions. Allowing myself to write badly frees the writer within.

Whenever my writing is edited, I am reminded that writing is really rewriting. It would be wonderful if my prose or poetry never needed editing. Possibly, in twenty years from now, it might happen but I’m not holding my breath waiting for perfection. If I waited to write perfectly the first time, I’d have given up a long time ago.

The late Ed Wildman used to say, “You can only be defeated if you quit.”

It’s not easy being a writer. One of my biggest regrets is that I stopped writing in my early twenties. My inner critic taunts me. “Imagine what a good writer you’d be if you never stopped.”

I disregard the thought and just continue writing. I focus on the present and not the past. I remember that writers, write.

Last week when I met my writing friend Bonnie for lunch, she wanted to know if I’d finished editing my poetry book.

“No,” I said.

“Do you have a deadline?”

“No.” I shook my head.

“Without a deadline your dream will never happen.”

Thanks Bonnie for the kick in the butt. I’ve finished editing (hopefully the second last edit). It’s great having writing friends that encourage you.

No comments: