Thursday, January 21, 2010

THE MUSE ANSWERS

Sometimes when I experience the dreaded writers’ block, I write letters to God in my morning pages (The Artist Way, by Julia Cameron). After completing this exercise I tap into “flow.” Many famous writers were prolific letter writers who warmed up their creative juices by writing letters.

Why not try it?

While de-cluttering my paper mess, I came across a letter handwritten on lined paper, which I believed I wrote some time in 2005.

Dear God:

Some days, I don’t know why I even bother to write. On these dismal days, I call out for the muse to arrive to pour inspiration into my creative soul. It almost seems as if the muse taunts me. It’s as if I can almost hear her say:

Why should I show up at your command? How much easier would it be for
me if you practiced your writing on a daily basis? I never know when you’re prepared to sit down and write.

If you wait for inspiration, you could die waiting. Great writers sit their butt on the chair at regular intervals and I always know where and when to find them.

If you want to be a writer, write. With each word you put on the page, you are one step closer to realizing your dream of finishing the first draft of your novel.

Don’t talk to me of distractions. Do you think I’m never interrupted or distracted? Writers are always crying out, “O Muse, why have you forsaken me?” I have never forsaken a committed writer. I hover beside them, and I pour inspiration into their
creative soul.

Committed writers understand the key to writing is found within. All writers have the key to realize their dreams. They ban their inner critic to the slush pile. They ignore the critic, as they know that writing begets writing. They focus on completing their creative work, realizing that the act of writing will bring inspiration and me.

Don’t pick on yourself. You already have fear attacking every pore of your body. Why would you pick on your creative child? For God’s sake, don’t say, “My writing sucks or I’ll never become a writer.”

Do not allow the demon of doubt to paralyze you, and leave you unable to accomplish your dreams.

REMEMBER! Within each person lies the ability for greatness. Persevere and you will become the writer of your dreams.

No comments: