Sunday, January 10, 2010

Meeting Minutes Jan 10, 2010

New Year, New meeting place...
We held our first meeting of the year in our new home. Tweedsmuir Presbyterian Church. One of the things Jayne told us after the meeting was that the church was named for The Lord Tweedsmuir whose real name was John Buchan. He was the 15th Governor General of Canada as well as - ironically - a proficient writer with dozens of books to his credit. His most famous "The Thirty-Nine Steps" was made into an Alfred Hitchcock film.

One of the fun things Clare brought to us were some limericks. Some of the group took on the challenge and allowed me to post them onto the blog today:

There once was a parrot named Pat
Who not only parroted but spat
The owner kept his distance
At the spitting bird's insistence
And then fed parrot Pat to the cat. Harry Posner

I doubt that my new resolution
Will help me to find a solution
The problem is clear
A green-car costs too dear
So I'll have to keep causing pollution. Jayne Self

There once was an author named Clare
Who struggled to keep all of his hair
Sitting next to him was Harry
Whose baldness was sexy not scary
And soon I will also be there. Glenn Lott

There was a cross-eyed cook, Harry,
Whose cooking was real scary
He peered around a lot
Before he found the pot
And that just drove his wife near hairy. Clare McCarthy

Speaking of Clare. He announced to us that the Orangeville Banner has a new website. You can find Clare and past cartoons at www.orangeville.com/opinion/cartoon.

We also discussed updating our own website. No one has posted any new writing lately, nor have some of our new writers been added. If you would like to be added to our website, please send a brief Bio, a photo if you choose, some pieces of writing, and any web links you have to Shirley Bray.

This information has already gone around to the group but there is a Life Story Writing course being offered by The Learning Enterprise from Tues Feb 23 - April 20, 2010. It is from 7 - 8:30pm. The cost is $65 for 8 classes. If you are interested, call The Learning Enterprise at (519) 941-2661.

There was a suggestion from Harry about how to rid yourself of Writer's Block.
"Think about the best moment of your day and write about it."

Clare read a quote from John Smolens from an article that appeared in the Feb 2010 Writer's Digest. "Given time to mature and learn the game, so to speak, an emerging writer will, with discipline, sustained effort and not a little luck, produce stories that are worth reading."

Included with my prompts this meeting, I added a list of "lines to make you smile" which prompted more writing than the prompts did! I thought I'd include them here for everyone to use and abuse as you see fit!

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.
The trouble with life is there's no background music.
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Happy writing everyone. Our next meeting is January24, 2010 and our leader will be Judy.
Hope to see you all there!

2 comments:

Mary Patricia Bird said...

I signed up for the course at the Learning Enterprise today. Who else is going?

Anonymous said...

I've registered and I believe that Judy and Diane are going to register, too.