Wednesday, January 6, 2010

MOVIES - It's Complicated & Avatar & Writing

Everybody who knows me knows that I love movies. I have an expensive habit and I try to frequent the movies on Tuesdays. While watching the movie, I’m thinking about the screenplay and making a post re the movie on our blog.

It’s Complicated – 2.5 out of 4

Last night, I saw It’s Complicated. It’s funny with a lot of laughs. It’s written and directed by Nancy Meyers. Jane hooks up with her ex-husband at their son’s graduation. He left her for a hot younger woman. After ten years, they have an amicable divorce.

I didn’t like the ending but if you thought about it, how else could it have ended? Although, if my husband left me for a younger woman I’d have written a screenplay where the wife murders her husband. The plot of the movie is predictable.

Jane and Jake’s children are still affected by the divorce after a decade – this scene is great! Most movies forget about the children’s emotions.

John Krasinski acting is fabulous.

When Jane disscusses her lovelife with a group of women friends the audience howled!


Avatar – 4 out of 4

Judy’s brother wrote a wonderful review and I neglected to ask her if I had permission to post it. I’ll get back to you on that.

As a sci-fi addict, I loved every second of it. My brother-in-law Jim wanted to question some of the dynamics of how the humans entered the avatar bodies. I told him, “Loving sci-fi the way I do, I just accepted the premise.”

Avatar is a movie for everybody not just people who like sci-fi.

The movie speaks of mankind’s ability to forget their humanity when it involves the almighty dollar. The characters are believable and developed. We care what happens to Pandora’s people. At one point, Jake’s speech reminded me of the movie, Braveheart.

Any writer who can provoke thought, I believe, is a talented writer. On the way home, we discussed the movie, mostly, about men’s capacity for violence.

Avatar is visually stunning.

I wish I’d written the screenplay. I can’t wait to see it again especially in 3D. This movie is the wave of the future.

This is one of the best movies that I've seen in a long time.

No comments: