Tuesday, December 8, 2009

HWG CHRISTMAS GET-TOGETHER

Where were you on Saturday, December 5, 2009? If you weren’t with us, you missed an excellent time. Most of the members of the Headwaters Writers’ Guild attended a Christmas get-together at King Buffet’s in Orangeville. It was our fifth annual Christmas celebration. Our spouses, children and friends joined us.

Oh the stories that were told and the writers of course said, “Wow, there’s a good story to write about.”

Judy and I brought our journals and of course, our pens. When we passed around Christmas cards for Pat and Shirley (we purchased gift certificates from our Amazon Store to thank them) Judy and I also had pens. Writers without pens, who could ever imagine that?

Oh, I almost forget, Clare had his famous fountain pen. He drew pigs on his book The Hurleyville Taxi that he autographed for Anita. Clare’s book is an excellent read. If you don’t have a copy yet, please contact him by email clare.mccarthy@sypatico.ca .

We learned new information about some of our members.

Jayne writes murder mysteries and we suggested that she write one about killing off members of a church. We have a warp sense of humour. Jayne also informed us that she had a website, http://www.jayneself.com/ .

June brought along old photos when she wrote articles for her Downhome Magazines. She’s thinking about compiling pertinent articles and photos into a book. I’m excited, as I suggested this to June a copy of years ago.

Anita mentioned that she’s experienced success with her writing. Congratulations Anita.

I brought two prints of photos that I’d taken. I told Laura that when I first showed Judy (an excellent photographer) my first landscape photos, she put them back in the envelope only saying, “ Huh … huh. When I told Judy this story, she apologized, I laughed and said, “I’m only a beginning photographer but now if it was my writing …”

This time, I’m happy to report, Judy said, “Beautiful photos but I’d crop this one.” See with a little practice …

I shared the story of Glenn’s initial visit to our writing group. I said, “I’m surprised that he not only came to the group but continued to become a member.”

Glenn laughed and said, “I love abuse.”

I mentioned to Clare that I couldn’t read his writing when he autographed his book for me that Glenn said that there’s no way that Clare had written the word intellect about me. Everybody laughed. Are they trying to tell me something?

We were all disappointed that Diane and her family were unable to attend the function due to Diane’s pneumonia. Darn it. We hope that Diane is on the mend. Diane, you and your family were definitely missed!

You missed a great time and lots of laughter.

What’s with all the beards?

Thanks to everybody who attended especially family members!

We missed you! Hope to see you in January 2010 at our first session of the New Year! In the meantime, keep writing!

No comments: