Sunday, January 15, 2012

Clearing The Clutter

Writing Prompt from Sunday, January 8th:

To clear the clutter from my life the first thing to go would be my family. Life would be so much simpler without them.

Seriously though, on my journey through The Artist's Way I realized that one of the things that is keeping me blocked is the lack of a proper writing space. An office, if you will. I carry books, notebooks and laptop around the house as I find a place to settle. I am constantly being displaced. This breaks up time and momentum. My brain cannot focus.

Since I don't have the office that I have always longed for, I decided it was time to find my space. It wasn't that difficult really. It is my old space where the desk top computer sits. I moved away from there when I got my laptop because being in the basement all the time became depressing - and it's cold down there. Also, I was sharing that space with my kids who now have their own laptops and rarely use the desktop anymore.

There is room for me to use my laptop next to the PC, it's just a matter of de-cluttering. This is not an easy task at Clutter House Central. Last night I looked at the massive mess on the coffee table in the family room and sighed. My daughter laughed and said, "Welcome to our home." Unable to sleep after my husband came home from work this morning, I was up early and cleared off the coffee table, and the floor, and another table in the family room. Content with a job well done I settled down with my cold cup of tea to write my morning pages.

As for my writing space, the de-cluttering has begun but it's going to take much longer to decide what needs to stay, what can go, and what can be moved elsewhere. I only hope that what I move elsewhere doesn't cause clutter in another area of my home - like the family room or, God forbid, my newly renovated kitchen.

No comments: