Thursday, June 8, 2017

Great news! I am chuffed to the bollocks to accept the role of first Poet Laureate of Dufferin County. It was officially announced tonight, and I'll be meeting with Nanci Malek of the Dufferin County museum to work out PR and public appearances over the term of service. As Laureate I will be given opportunities to promote poetry, literature and the arts in different settings - public, educational, etc., and will be expected to produce a number of  significant new works. What a thrill and challenge this will be. Stay tuned, as I will no doubt be in touch around various projects and events that I'll be dreaming up in this strange brain of mine. Thanks to all who have supported my writing/performing over the years. It takes a community to encourage artistic endeavours of any stripe, and I have the fortune to live in a fantastic community that takes the arts seriously. So, let the poetry shine! Write a poem, read a poem, share a poem. Let's make this next year one in which new ears and eyes are regaled with fantastic words by those of us who revel in the beauty and inspiration of language that touches the heart and the gut. And... go!

No comments: