Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sunday, April 6, 2014 Meeting Notes

Small group this week, but productive.

We discussed re-igniting the alternating Saturday coffee shop writing chit-chat meetings, or perhaps once a month. Several locations were shot down but the Green Apple Cafe (the west end Shopper's Drug Mart plaza) was a favourite.

Nancy also asked if people were interested in having a spring writing retreat at Eramosa Eden. We haven't done it in a couple of years. Hopefully the snow will melt soon. She will check on available dates.

It was reported that Richard Scarsbrook's latest workshop at the library was packed.

Marilyn introduced her latest publication - The Last Mentsch by Peter Bayer, now available at Amazon.


Patricia shared the email she received from Ann Moynes at Mix 88.1 Radio.

My name is Ann Moynes and I am a volunteer at Erin Community Radio Mix 88.1. Every second Wednesday, at 7:50am, on 'Montgomery in the Morning', with Erin Montgomery, I do a review of a book by either a local author or a book that has local content. By local we mean the region covered by the radio's listening audience. Orangeville is within that region, as is Caledon, Alton, Hillsburgh, Fergus, the northern tip of Georgetown and places in between.

My purpose in writing to you is to see if members of the Headwaters Writers' Guild might be interested in having any of their books reviewed at some time on the program....

If any of the Guild's authors are interested in providing me with copies of their books, I will read them with a view to possibly reviewing them on the radio. This would be of great interest to our listeners and would of course help promote sales of the authors' books.

Books can be sent to me at: Attention A. Moynes, P.O. Box 1122, Erin, ON, N0B 1T0. If they would like to email me about it I can be reached at amoynes@rogers.com.... The book reviews are 3 minutes long....

After some confusion regarding a character during a member's reading, it was determined that sometimes it is easier to understand when reading along as the author reads aloud. It was suggested that if you want a REAL critiquing of a certain piece of writing, bring a few copies so that members can read along. They can share copies so you don't need to bring more than a few copies.

Quotes during discussion:

"Writers provoke thought. So I'm trying too think more creatively." - Nancy

"I get some of my best ideas while meditating." - Marilyn

As leader this week Nancy brought a huge bag full of prompts to choose from.

Next meeting is Sunday, April 27th. Marilyn is scheduled to lead.

Happy Easter all!


1 comment:

N. J. Rorke said...

Thanks Patricia! I loved the quotes. I said that?

I believe it's 'cause of the piece you read. It really provoked thought. Good piece of writing.

Thanks for Marilyn's quote (I thought what a good idea.) Then I forgot .. .