Tuesday, April 1, 2014

MEETING MARCH 23, 2014


Okay, so I'm a little late. What the heck. It's not like it's a writing contest and I missed the deadline is it?
If you didn't attend our meeting on Sunday, you missed a great session. Danielle brought some orange note paper that we wrote words on, a sentence or whatever popped into our heads.

Then we passed a white sheet of paper to the left. We each made a sentence or two to start a story. We passed this to the left of us again and the person wrote another sentence to add to the story. And we kept passing them until we received the story that we’d started.
Now, I’ll be honest. I think I was the only person who only read the sentence directly above.  Then, I added whatever into popped in my mind. I admit it, crazy thoughts always pop into my head.

The premise of the exercise is to free the writer within and just write. Well we wrote unbelievably funny stuff.

I haven’t laughed this hard in years. I laughed until I cried. It was an extraordinary experience.
Here’s the fun the writers had with my first couple of lines.

            Willow loves to shop. In order to support her habit she became a drug dealer. Although she prefers the term, helping people become happy if only for an hour or whatever it takes.
            Each sale she made she pictured what item she would buy. Shining and big, small and dull, it didn’t matter. The idea of owning it makes her high.
            Her first stop of the day was the Salvation Army Thrift Shop. There were many treasures to be found there.
            She was low in cash at the moment so the mall was out of the question today. Here she could get a bunch of things with the $20.00 in her pocket.
            She stumbled across a large sombrero Mexican hat. How she had always longed for one.
            Also, a pair of pink florescent running shoes caught her eye.
            Just what I always wanted she thought a pair of pink florescent running shoes.
            A pair of polka-dot laces completed her footwear ensemble.
            A turquoise alligator-textured hand bag (when I read I added oh it’s not too good for the alligator) sat on a shelf near her head. As she took it down a weight inside the handbag shifted.
            The red leather bag caught her attention.
I said, “Oh my gosh! We sure have a lot of shoppers here.”
Maybe you had to be there.

My favourite line that I wrote was: it’s time to pray. God probably won’t listen to me ‘cause the only time I go to church is when I attend my writing meetings. I swear everybody laughed.
All I can say is that this reminded me of the beginning days of the Headwaters Writers’ Guild. You probably could hear us laughing all the way to East Garry.

Be brave. I challenge you to post your story here. Clare I double dog dare you!

Thanks Danielle. That sure was a lot of fun.
NEXT MEETING:   APRIL 6, 2014 - Nancy is leading.
Attend for the laughs, the fun, and the opportunity to hang out with writers. And most of all we miss you!


No comments: