Monday, November 4, 2013

Anne Lamott on Writing


 
In your opinion, why is order and discipline essential elements in life?

Discipline has always been the path to freedom for me as an artist. I can't just wait around for inspiration. I never really feel like writing, but in 35 years I have established the habit of being strict and firm with myself. I get my work done, rain or shine.


And all the people who have lives I admire--for their commitment to meaningful work, and the ability to have joy and radical playfulness and a sense of having both a strong center and an expansiveness--well, all these people practice a spiritual path. They tend to have a spiritual community in which they are regular members, a meditation practice, certain rituals they adhere to, scripture to which they regularly turn etc. And I have witnessed my whole life that those practices lead to a sense of freedom.
So I adopted that way of life too.

To read the whole interview go to:


 

No comments: