Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Near Mrs. - August 26, 2012 - Theatre Orangeville

Okay Patricia, I got the hint. I've been editing for goodness sake. Next time, I'll take notes.

There’s something exhilarating for me to watch a play being read as opposed to looking at a play with props. Could it be that it feels like the words come alive during the reading. Don’t get me wrong the actors were sensational. They didn’t need props. Maybe the dialogue is everything when it’s read. As a reader and a writer, I love dialogue.

Whatever it is, I enjoyed the new play development of Near Mrs.

Brian McKay wrote Near Mrs. and Robert More directed it. It stared Jonathan Ellul, Lisa Horner, Iveal Lucas, Jamie Mac, Ashley Magwood, and David Nairn.

I noticed every facial muscle of each actor as they read their lines. They drew me in with each word that they spoke. The story came alive on the stage. And I noticed when the audience laughed and when they didn’t. More revisions. For the last two years, Brian McKay worked on this play and he’d already done major revisions before we saw it. I know about editing but this is different. Without a live audience, how could Brian gage the success of his words?

Personally, I hate editing or revisions but it’s part of a writer’s job. It's good to know that other writers have numerous revisions and I'm not the only one. Whenever I read my writing at our group, I can sense or feel what I need to revise.

During question time, Ron informed McKay that we were all writers sitting in the second row. Lucky for us, eh?

Watching the actors, I realized, like most stories, this play is character driven. I loved the characters, they reminded me of people that I love and hate. When I told this to McKay, he thanked me profusely. “As a writer,” he said, “you know how important the characters are.” I nodded.

This play, Near Mrs., reminds me of Norm Foster’s plays, and he’s the most produced Canadian playwright.

When Judy suggested that we move our August 25, 2012 meeting to Theatre Orangeville New Play Development Event, I was delighted. Judy and I’d been to a previous event. Five of us attended this.

I can’t wait to see the final Near Mrs. hopefully at Theatre Orangeville.

Imagine, unbeknownst to me, besides the reading, they had a complimentary wine and cheese reception. It doesn't get any better than this.

We mingled with the actors and some even remembered we were writers. Jamie Mac gave Judy his card in case we needed somebody to read for us.

You missed an awesome afternoon. Who knows, maybe one of us, might write a play.



No comments: