Thursday, September 27, 2012

Harry Posner - Spoken Word Artist & Poet

I emailed Harry and congratulated him on his success at the Eden Mills Writers Festival.

Harry sent me this email back:

Yes, I was one of five people selected to present their poetry at 'The Cottage' stage on the Sunday.

It was a marvellous experience, with the Eramosa River flowing by at my back, beautiful, sunny day, and a receptive audience. It was perhaps the best performance of my short career as a spoken worder.

I did see Marilyn and the gang there. In fact they had a table opposite mine on the Publisher's Way.

Jeremy Grant (percussion) and I, known as The Rubber Brothers, performed at the Friday evening gala event, along with readings from Trevor Cole ('Practical Jean') Jazmine Aziz ('Sex and Samosas'), and the Mike Malone jazz band. Got lots of positive feedback on our performance.

Our next gig will be at the Rhythm and Hues festival at the Alton Mill this coming Sunday (Sept 30) in The Bartlett Gallery at 2 PM. Come one, come all!

After that I have a solo gig at the Elora Centre for the Arts on October 18th, followed by a workshop on spoken word at the centre on the 25th.

So I've been very busy these days, what with my second novel ('A Softness in the Eyes') in its first draft stage. It's all good!

My best to the gang and at some point I'll get a day off to get there!

Posted from: http://www.eloracentreforthearts.ca/index.cfm?page=2011_Wordfest

Wordfest returns this Fall on Thursday, October 18, 2012.

Wordfest welcomes writers and storytellers to an evening that celebrates the spoken word. Featured readers and open-mic participants bring poetry, prose and storytelling to the Elora Centre for the Arts. Sign up for a segment of the program or come out to listen and enjoy. * snap * snap

Please contact the ECFTA at: 519-846-9698 for more information

All Ages. Doors open at 7:00pm, readings begin at 7:30pm.

$6.00 (Kids and Youth Free)

Where:

The Harris Room, Elora Centre for the Arts

75 Melville Street, Elora, ON N0B 1S0



SENTENCE YOUR WORDS TO LIFE A One Night Spoken Word Workshop


Fall 2012: Thursday, October 25, 2012
  
at the Elora Arts Centre
75 Melville Street, Elora, ON NOB 1SO


7:30pm - 9:00pm
$20 Member / $25 Non-Members (+ HST)


From the page to the stage, learn to be more confident when reciting or performing your writings. You will be lead through exercises designed to free up your voice. Bring a pen, a pad and poems to share.

Facilitator: Spoken word performer Harry Posner


Harry sent me one of the poems that he performed:

Untitled

the sky is charged tonight

timorous stars, ears turned earthward

listen for their true voices, that

like blind gospel psalms

echoing upwards from upturned palms

rise out of the vocal sacs

of a sea of peeper frogs

who fill the wetland bogs with intense ululations

a sexuality of supernovic proportions



light years separate star and frog

yet are they not one being

as the hand is, at heart, no different

from the head in its seeing?



they sing, these tiny astral amphibians

to give cruciform voice to a longing

felt in the farthest reaches of inner space

to teach me something I cannot fully comprehend

like a dream I cannot quite place



the sky is charged tonight

it needs us to attend

it needs to birth universes

stir up cosmic dust dances

toss its connecting light like a seine net over us all

drag creature-Earth to shore

so that we finally find each other

the way a hand searches for and caresses

the furrowed field of a brow to share in its many sadnesses



my yes, my heart cups the hive of the world

whose shiver chatters bones

its heft-sensuous curves

braille-like textures intone

the warp and weft of Being in its becoming



and when I look at you

with my stars singing in your eyes

your frogs peeping in my ponds

I am made to ask

where do I end and you begin?


Congratulations Harry on your success and we hope to see you soon at our meetings.

1 comment:

harry posner said...

Thanks for posting this, Nancy. Miss you guys!