Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Just Who Do You Think You Are?

This question is difficult to respond to, because, to be honest, I don't believe that I know all of who I am. This is a part of my core belief as I believe that I can't know all of who I am. I am young, I am still developing, I am still learning, and I may never truly know who I am until the very last second of life, when all in life has been done and there is no going back.
So, I suppose I will I have to give a snapshot of who I am, right now:

-I am a university student
-I am passionate about linguistics and languages. My goal now is to be bilingual, but given the opportunity, future goals include learning Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and a number of other languages, maybe even Icelandic.
-I like talking to people. To their faces. I like hearing them talk back. Texting and messaging are okay, but they often bore me since I really want to see the person's expressions, understand their words through their body language and hear the genuine emotion in their voices.
-Even with all the technology I own, I'm kind of old school. I prefer my pen, pencil and paper to the drawing tablet and my best ideas are first written on paper, not on the computer.
-I am shy
-I find it difficult to directly engage in a conversation. I prefer to be silent and simply listen until I have something pertinent to say.
-I am very sarcastic at times though I almost always mean it as a show of humour.
-I am the Summer Kitchen Coordinator at my school.
-I am a Glendonite!
-I am still a kid at heart. While many will label me as mature, I still act child-like at times. I run around around my room, pretending I'm in some huge super heroic fight with a super villain about to destroy the world. I've even done an entire star wars battle with an imaginary Sith at the end of my light saber (that is also imaginary... or a cardboard tube).
-I am a daughter amongst many sons.
-I have multiple parental figures. These include my biological mother and father, step-mother, friend's mother, and a dear friend to me. To me, parental figures are the people who give me life advice or taught me essential skills to continue growing.
-I am agnostic. I don't deny that there may or may not be a god watching over everyone or that we may have all been created by an alien species like in Prometheus. Simply put, I don't know because these ideas are beyond my realm of reasoning and knowledge. I really can't prove that any religion, theory, or somehow otherwise is right or wrong.
-I am pansexual and monogamous.
-I am a fan of superheroes and Loki.
-I am a wordsmith. Every day, I work on my craft. I no longer simply write words on paper, I bring life to them as finished works (albeit unpublished ones).
-I am hungry for knowledge on any subject. I believe that noo knowledge goes to waste.
-I believe in equality.
-I have friends that I love from all over the place. I don't mean location (though that is becoming true), but in regards to their personalities, beliefs, etc. Whether Jehovah Witness, Catholic, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist, Agnostic, creative, stubborn, procrastinator, successful, rich, poor, working hard, hardly working, homosexual, heterosexual or what have you, I have met them, loved them, and learned from them.
-My dad runs a business. My biological mom is working towards being a nurse and my step-mom is one of the most organized receptionists you could find. I have a brother who's practically a genius in computer programming and a sister who thought of us every day and searched for us for years just to tell us hello, that she missed us, and that she loved us.
-I am Canadian. Maybe not in citizenship, but I truly believe that I myself am Canadian. I was born in the U.S. and I have citizenship with Britain, but Canada is where I stand.
-I am a NaNoWriMo-er. Every year, without fail now, I put myself to the test to write 50,000 words in 30 days.
-In my writing, I have racked up over 200,000 words in short stories, novels and poems. Mostly of which are rough drafts. Of that, I am proud to say that about 10,000 words were useful.
-My name is Ashley Robin Haworth, though some call me Robin, Chip, Munchkin, Vincent, Ash, Texas Rose or otherwise.


I am all of these things. I am constantly changing, constantly learning and no doubt, by tomorrow, I will have more to add to this list. I already have added more by simply reading it over. Of course I can't be proud or happy with every choice I've made, but I can live with them and be happy that the sum of all of my choices have led me to a great education and the potential of a happy life ahead.

No comments: