Friday, January 28, 2011

Why I Write

At the beginning of January, we did an excercise using the prompt: "Why Do I Write?" This was my response:

I write because I hear voices and have scenes constantly running through my head. I have characters I've lived with since I was a child and continue to enable them to exist. My shelves are heavy with stories that I've evicted from my brain. I haven't written one book. I've written over a dozen. A line I once heard to describe someone was "a hummingbird on espresso" which sums up the way I write. Quickly, not always fluidly, but I have a need to get the stories out since my head is like a glass jar and I fear it will explode if I don't make space inside, the glass will shatter.

I'm not perfect. I don't profess to be. I'm just a person who loves the feeling of a pen in my hand and the smell of paper. Bookstores and stationery shops make me giddy. Buying printer ink is a thrill. Where some people have stashes of chocolate and cookies, I hoard scribblers, notebooks and pens. Don't worry about me though, if I need help, I'll simply create a character to walk me through my paper addiction.
Diane

No comments: