Tuesday, June 15, 2010

FRIDAY, JUNE 11, 2010

Friday should have been a Friday the 13th day. My niece’s husband died of a blot clot that travelled to his lung. He died with no insurance, no money, and six children. The youngest
child is six. It’s an unspeakable tragedy.

On Friday, the hospital discharged him. While he was getting ready to go home, just before he died, his oldest son said, “Daddy, don’t go and die on us. We’ll be screwed.”

Kenny said, “Don’t be silly. I’m not going to die.”

When I learned of Kenny’s death all I could do is think about my grandfather. In 1929, he died of TB as a result of consumption he acquired from fighting in the trenches in World War I. He left my thirty-four-year -old grandmother with eight children, no insurance and no money. I wonder how she survived especially the Depression years.

I’m sure she felt the same sorrow as my niece who wonders how she’s going to survive.

Thank you Diane for generously donated items for the funeral reception on Saturday, June 19th.

1 comment:

Diane Bator, Author & Book Coach said...

You're welcome Nancy. Our thoughts are with you and your family. Sorry for your loss.