Friday, November 21, 2008

Nipissing Writers

I've been a busy beaver up here in North Bay. There was a group of writers here who met on rare occasion, but disbanded a couple of years ago when the site of their meetings went out of business. There was interest expressed by several people last weekend at Gulliver's Bookstore that indicated a willingness to resume activities. I located a large room at a central locationwhich I contracted on behalf of the group and we begin regular bi-monthy Sunday afternoon meetings beginning January 11th. I understand there was no format to their meetings, simply discussing their work and critiquing, but no exercises in creative writing. I am introducing prompts and 15 to 20 minute creative writing sessions in a format similar to that of the Headwaters Writers. We have briefly discussed meeting on alternate weekends as a "drop in" but I think that will follow once we become more organized. There are some published writers and many unpublished writers here, a good ix and I think we can help each other. It sure beats working in a vacuum.

No comments: