Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fishing"s Greatest Misadventures

Sue just received four copies of the book "Fishing's Greatest Misadventures" from the editor of CasagrandePress in California (accompanied by a cheque for $100. US). I have contributed a short story to that book and plan to bring it to one of the meetings when I'm in Orangeville later this month.

The bio of "Bill Bennett: Pioneer Bush Pilot and Outfitter" is due from the printer this month and if I have received my complimentary copies I will bring it to the meeting as well.

My publisher has agreed to publish another bio I've written, "Bernice Walker, Woman of Courage" (working title) in 2010 and is currently evaluating the young adult novel, "A Trout for Tyler" for publication. My article about Flower's River, Labrador will appear in the Spring issue of the Atlantic Salmon Journal.

There are currently no writers groups in North Bay and I am thinking about starting one. Canadore College and Nippising University are nearby and I'm thinking this would be a good source for people who want to write and socialize with other writers. The local independent book store is supportive. I've also been invited to speak to Books by the Bay next July about my role as Mentorship Chair of the Outdoor Writers of Canada, its benefits, and how to become involved.

Many of you will recall Sherri, who visited us during my workshop last December. She has been published in Outdoor Canada and has her foot in the door with the editor, so I believe we'll be seeing more of her work there in future.

One of my good friends, Ron Pitts, is showing his striking photography at the Dufferin County Museum and Archvesuntil November 16th. If you want to experience some eye-opening and breathtaking nature photography you should visit there before it closes. Tell him I said Hi.

3 comments:

Headwaters Writers' Guild said...

That is great news about your books and the speaking engagement. Congrats Len.

Laura said...

Congratulations, Len! I hope you're planning a local event when your next book comes out.

Anonymous said...

Hello Len:

Congratulations! Wow, you must be elated!

Hopefully, you'll have a book launch in Orangeville.

We all miss you especially Clare being the only male presently in the group.

Hope to see you soon!

Blessings