Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Reading and Writing in "Times Like These" by Diane Bator



                                        


 Who hasn't said at least once a day, "If I had more time, I'd..." 

I have to admit, I'd always dreamed of having more time in my day to write while raising three kids, working full time, and trying to write mystery novels.  "If I had a week to myself, I'd..."
Well our collective wish came true. Back in March, most of us were sentenced to isolation in our homes. We had all the time in the world. The problem was most of us, me for one, were too numb at the time to figure out how to create. We could only sit glued to the television or social media to watch as our world changed in crazy ways. Since my day job involves running a live-stage theatre box office, I'll be working from home for several weeks yet. 
At first, being creative was the last thing on my mind. My biggest fear was not running out of toilet paper and making sure my kids were safe. I lost sleep over the kids - not so much the toilet paper.

After the first week, I was able to focus for short stints of time on editing a couple books I'd written. Drop Dead Cowboy was scheduled for release in September 2020. I edited and submitted the completed manuscript in April. After a round of edits, it was published June 1, 2020. Bumped ahead because a fellow author needed an extension and mine was already done.

With the pressure of the new release off, I was able to relax and read a few books that have piled up. Yes, TBR (too be read) piles can teeter over and fall...just saying. For me, however, reading is always followed by posting reviews.

I've been one of the lucky ones able to work from home for the past few months. Theatre staff meets every weekday morning to chat about what we will do once we are able. Mostly, we meet to keep everyone sane and check in to make sure we're all well. Some days, there's a lot to say. Many days, we lapse into discussing bartering with neighbours, what movies we're watching, and if we've developed any new hobbies. 

Because I have more free time to play around on social media and listen in on author events, I've been blessed to virtually meet some great people from Crime Writers of Canada, Sisters in Crime Toronto, Rogue Women Writers and others. 

I've been trying to learn how to set up a newsletter and a mailing list, but that concept keeps getting pushed aside due to other things.

Way back when, I used to do counted cross-stitch, which is something I've picked up again and developed a following who loves to watch the progress I've made. I even had someone refer my book, Drop Dead Cowboy, which features a craft shop called Stitch'n'Time to Needlepoint Retailer!

One of the other things I've been working on is my own blog post series, Escape With a Writer Sunday. Every week, I share an interview, bio and blurbs about other authors and their books. It's been a fun project! I've hosted authors from Australia, UK, USA, and even one from Hungary! If I'm lucky enough to read their books, I always share a review on the same blog post. So far, I've featured nearly 50 authors and I'm always looking for more! 

With my creativity back on track, I'm currently working on Book 2 in my Glitter Bay Mystery series. This one features Laken Miller's sister, Sage as the protagonist. Trust me, this girl has her own story to tell! Being the sister of a supermodel is no picnic, especially when Laken's fashionista friends come to visit and Sage owns Vintage Sage, a vintage boutique. 

Speaking of, I have pages to write and blogs to post!
Stay healthy and well and keep on reading!

Diane Bator







No comments: