Wednesday, March 16, 2016


In the book club that I belong to, we read a story on DNA and the possible effects that it may have on your actions. A friend mentioned a possible issue with DNA. The homework was to write anything Irish story. I combined my obsession with DNA and then I wrote, I am From.


I AM FROM 
By Nancy Rorke 

I am from Ui Briuin a fifth-century Irish King of Connacht and the first O Ruarc (a Viking name that means famous king) who was the King of Breifne. I am from the four more O’Rourkes who were the Kings of Connacht and who were one of the most powerful families in Ireland. 

I am from Tiernan O’Rourke (King of Breifne, 11241172) who donated money for the gorgeous The Book of Kells, completed by the church. I am humbled and speechless at its beauty 

Unfortunately, Tiernan fought ruthlessly with Dermot MacMurrough. When Dermot seized Tiernan’s wife, possibly with her consent, they became mortal enemies. Dermot fled to England and brought the Normans to Ireland. The Irish lost everything, including their language, the right to own land, and later, the right to be educated. He became the most hated man in Ireland and his descendants changed their last name.  

I am from John Rorke (b. 17[-) and Phebe Ruddock (born 18681821). John’s father, Patrick Rorke, possibly dropped the O when he became a Quaker. John moved to Waterford near Dublin. He had thirteen children. Most of his family immigrated to Canada between 1820 and 1826, years before the 1845 famine. John died on the way to Canada to join his children, and was buried on Staten Island. 

I am from Richard Coates line, my third-great-uncle, who built the first pipe organ in Ontario, was a musician and an artist. He lives on the pages of the Internet. 

I am from my grandmother, Gertrude Sullivan Rorke. Her mother, Isabellawas Englishbut Gertrude Sullivan’s family fought against the English with my friend’s family, the McCarthys. 

am from the still waters of sorrow, harboured regrets, and an indescribable longing to return home to Ireland. 

I am from the Vikings who live in my DNA and possess me, and who enableme to protect myself or go to the death if need be.  

I am from the dark secrets and the anguish that lives in my soul from the days of long ago. 

I am from eons of Irish and Viking storytellers who embellish the truth to make up the best story possible. I am from those who never let anything go and hold onto to every wrong doing, and try to even the score. I am Irish to the core of my being.  





Posted on behalf of Nancy Rorke

1 comment:

Sonja Wolter said...

Awesome Nancy! Happy St. Paddy's Day :-)