Monday, March 31, 2014

How I Became a Sci-fi Geek

Since reading Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer, I've been thinking about what triggered my love of a sci-fi.
 
Orignally posted  July 5, 2012  but now with some edits.
 
What can I say about the Amazing Spider-Man movie - it’s amazing but then again I’m a geek according to my friend.

“Most of my friends are geeks,” she said. “They all like sci-fi and I hate it.”

Sci-fi and fantasy fims are my favourite movies. My husband and I watched a lot of "B" sci-fi films. Back in the 70's, science fiction moves weren't popular until Star Wars. And then the quality of these films improved.

Most of my life, I’ve blamed my Grade 12 teacher, Mrs. Stewart for loving scence fiction. She suggested that we should read a sci-fi novel.

“No way. I read everything but not sci-fi," I said.

So she decided we’d read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. As an avid reader, the burning of books horrified me yet at the same time provoked thought. I loved the book. So I began embracing my so-called geek side.

It’s interesting that Ray Bradbury’s book Zen in the Art of Writing: Release the Creative Genius within You, brought me back to my childhood, my secret past, and a light bulb moment.

Bradbury became hooked on the Dick Tracey comics and that's why he writes sci-fi.

With five kids, books were considered a luxury item in our family.  I didn't own any books. As a child, I could only afford comic books. Twice a month, I spent at least an hour at the corner convenience store selecting my new comic book.

I read Superman, Spider-Man, The Avengers, The Hulk, and X Men. But Spider-Man aka Peter Parker became my favourite. We even named Parker, one of our rescued cats after him. ( Parker, our cat, climbed up the brick to our second story window.)

But I never shared my love of comic books with anyone. The teachers frowned on them and they weren’t exactly literary. But they were definitely fun to read. I couldn’t wait for the new comic books. They always left you in suspense.

On May 10, 2002, when I watched the first Spider-Man movie I fell in love with superheros again. I hate to admit it but it’s been a long time since I’ve held a Spider-Man comic book or any other comic.  As a kid, I would have given anything to have superpowers.

In 2002, when The Lord of the Rings: The Twin Towers arrived at the movie theatre, my two friends and I were the only women there without men. We were delighted that we could share this experience together 'cause most of our women friends hate science fiction.

Today, all my daughters and my granddaughter, prefer scence fiction and fantasy movies. I am so proud. But really, it's no surprise, 'cause that's mostly what their parents watch.

And when I reminded my friend (who called me a geek) that people who love Sci-Fi are supposed to be more intelligent and imaginative (and creative), she said, “Imagine how much smarter I’d be if I liked sSci-Fi?”

I don’t think she was impressed.

P.S. I adored Mrs. Stewart (Mimico High Schoool).

 

No comments: