Wednesday, October 9, 2013

HWG Meeting Notes October 6, 2013

S.J. Faerlind announced that the third book in her Liriea's Children series is now available on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com in both e-book and print editions. The book is called "Destiny" with the first two books called "Prophecy" and "Affirmation".

Jayne, as leader this week, asked us to write down an answer to the following questions:

Name one for each of the following:

A season
A time of day
A colour
Weather
A body part
Mood
Fruit
Favourite place
Scent
Texture
Least Favourite Place
Flavour
Emotion
Sound

We were then asked to write a poem keeping the Thanksgiving theme in mind.

I, Patricia, chose the following words:

winter, dinner time, green, snow, back, miserable, apple, Hawaii, pine, smooth, caves, chocolate, anger, pitter-patter.

And below is my poem. Keep in mind that this was written in 15 minutes with no time to edit. I have not edited here... well, maybe a little. I did not count out syllables. It's not perfect but it meets the challenge:

My family together at dinner time
causes me to break into rhyme.
Their laughter and jokes behind my back,
and the ones we shared; we never lack.

For being miserable is hard to do
even throughout the winter blues.
The fun we have as a family
brings back memories of Hawaii.

Away from the snow and cold weather,
on the smooth sandy beaches together.
No place or cause for anger there.
Chocolate and green apples the midday fare.

At night the pitter-patter of tropical rain
brings memories of Canada to mind again.
Where pine trees grow and caves are dark
Where children play games in neighbourhood parks.

I'm grateful for a country of peace
from the west coast and shores on east.
A land where I was born and raised
and will live until my dying days.

And although I long for Hawaii
With my family is where I want to be.


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The next meeting is Sunday, October 20th. Nancy will be leading.

No comments: