Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Why I write

As a child I was always day dreaming. I would expect most kids do this for different reasons, but I am wont to explore them all here. At times the day dreams would become pure fantasy with dreams of exotic places, and people, and they could get pretty wild, like the characters in those dreams. Sometimes it got scary, and many times it was just plain fun.
Examination of events in the '30's might give one pause to conclude that daydreaming was more intense during these tough times than today, because we had so little, having more 'goodies' seemed like an impossibility, so we dreamt about them . However, until the academic level rises high enough along with passing years precise conclusions are difficult. I always thought it was just fantasy, and meant nothing more, time has proven a different conclusion.
As a young boy, the fantasy thing was having stories run around in my head not really realizing that they were the seeds of authorship. A lot must be realized to begin putting these things down on paper then being noticed as an accomplished novice. Some are lucky enough to have an audience early in life, for me it has come very late, but I'm eternally grateful to those who have given me their acknowledgement.
Academics were a hard grind for me as a youth, but over the years as life experiences mellowed the urgings of youth, I found that writing was an important medium for expression, not to become famous or wealthy, but 'to get it out of me' and have that satisfied feeling writers get when even a small piece is published, or at least, put on paper for anyone to read regardless of how many do (or don't) read it. Like any life endeavour that fulfills we humans, writing can be addictive as well as rewarding. For this old guy it is still fun, and hopefully the rewards will come before the call comes to 'come home', and when it does, hopefully I will have left something for my survivors to enjoy, to feel proud to have known that something good was accomplished by someone they love. For "the best is yet to come".
Ron Lehman

PS Dear Diane: I have subscribed to a blog for a while now, but really didn't do anything with it until today. I found your 2009 birthday message and got to read it today. Many thanks for
the wishes. Ron.

1 comment:

Diane Bator, Author & Book Coach said...

That is FUNNY! Glad you finally got the greetings!