Saturday, July 24, 2010

What's in a name?

I have been asked to post a guest blog on our site and I thought I'd blog about tomorrow's writing prompt. This will give our members a bit of a heads up and some time to ponder.

This particular prompt was born from a discussion I had with Gloria regarding names. Gloria was editing the first chapter from my second novel "The Camera Guy" for submission to our Anthology and along with several excellent suggestions came a question regarding the name of my main character.

Did the name suit the character?
Did the name suit the plot of the story?

Being the stubborn individual that I am I quickly informed her that the name was indeed proper and as far as I was concerned, written in stone. I can be quite stubborn at times. My explanation for this stemmed from the fact that the story and the main character are both grounded in my own experiences as a Police Officer and Forensic Investigator and the character's name born from my own. My middle names are William Walter after my father and so "Bill Walters" came into being.

After having declared the rule of law regarding Bill's name I sat back and began to look at Gloria's question from a different angle. My choice of name was strictly personal and I began to wonder if it was indeed appropriate for the story. Was 'Bill' a strong enough name for the character? Did it tell the reader anything about the man? I'm not sure if I've answered those questions honestly but I've decided to keep Bill around. (at least for now)

It did however, give me much to think about regarding the naming of characters. Not only the main character but for the other characters that appear in the story.

How important are names in a story?

Outside of plot, I really believe that names can make or break a story. A characters name should fit not only the plot but the authors envisioned 'look' and 'feel' of the character. A 'Eugene' rippling with muscles and picking up an M-16 to charge the enemy might take a whole chapter to bring the reader to the critical point of 'suspension of disbelief' if ever.

An author should also beware the 'stereotypical and cliche' traps in names. The 'Dirks' and 'Biffs' of the name world hold their own visuals that no amount of writing can dispell.

If you are writing a non-fiction, then the writer is safe from these pitfalls. The reader is aware that the story is factual and the names, no matter how strange, are easily accepted.

Period piece stories can also be difficult where names are concerned. The writer should research the names that were in use during that time period and for that location as well as the meaning for that particular name.

I've only scratched the surface regarding the naming of characters but I think I've given enough to help fellow writers in their search for the proper names.

As for tomorrow's prompt?

I will be attending the meeting armed with a list of names that will be passed out to my fellow guildians and they will be required to build the character and a brief plot outline from that name.

Good luck to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up richard...i am developing characters now :)