Thursday, May 6, 2010

TIME TO WRITE

In Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch, God says that there’s enough time. It’s easy for him to say. He should tell that to a mother with five children trying to get her children ready for school. Or tell it to a woman with a full-time job in the home and outside the home with children. What’s the old saying, a woman’s work is never done.

Imagine most of our mothers only worked in the home.

Time seems so fragile when your best friend dies or for that matter when any loved one dies. Could it be ‘cause humans know that there are two sides do life—birth and death? In an earlier post, I mention the movie, The Blade Runner. (http://headwaterswritersguild.blogspot.com/search?q=blade+runner ) The robots are searching for their maker in order to obtain their expiry dates.

As we age, aren’t we always wondering about our own expiry date? While going through the grieving process when my best friend Colette died, I thought about the meaning of life and then I focused on the meaning of my life.

I believe when loved ones die that they gift us a gift? I constantly wondered what gift did she give me? Finally, I realized she gave me the gift of time. Don’t waste time because you don’t know when you’ll be called home.

Since she died, I revaluate my life but especially time. The worst addiction I have is checking email. Do I have to check it every two minutes? I spend very little time watching TV. I usually disconnect the satellite in May and start it back up in September.

I make almost every decision based on time. Will this give me more time to write? If I organize the Open Mic will it be a benefit to my writing?

I spend my precious time with close friends and family. And of course I spend every second I can with my granddaughter because I know how quickly my own children became adults.

Time for writing is a big component of my life. Yes, God is right, there’s enough time, although I’m doing the best I can to use it wisely.

What motivates me to write is my age. Imagine when I was in the late Ed Wildman’s writing workshops, I was the second youngest. When I started Headwaters Writers’ Guild for a long time, I was the second oldest. I’m six years older than Colette was when she died. I use this to motivate me to write.

The last two nights I didn’t sleep through the night and it isn’t even the full moon. I thought possibly I should get up to write. Finally, I fell back to sleep around 5:00 a.m. I swear I wasn’t asleep more than ten minutes when I heard a voice in my dream yell,
“NANCY.”

“Leave me alone, I just fell back to sleep.”

Even in dreamtime, I’m reminded to put writing on the top of my things to do.

How do you want to spend your time? Watching TV, checking email, or do you want to live a life fully lived? Do you want to write? Then write.

There’s always enough time.

2 comments:

Diane Bator, Author & Book Coach said...

Since Nick started rowing, I've been getting up at 6am and writing morning pages again. I also painted yesterday when I could not sit still to write. But I did get some writing done this week even with sick kids and running in circles all week. And now I'm off to work...

What Ruth Writes said...

The death of a loved one certainly can jolt our awareness of the fragility of time and send us questioning our own beliefs about the meaning, purpose and value of our own life's time. I sometimes think that as writer's we're the keepers of time's keys; we can unlock the past, the present and future with just a word. Does each day leave us time-less - what is "a waste of time" and whose (life)time is this anyway?